The past couple of weeks have been spent on tweaking some of the graphics I have already created. The side views of most NPC's and several enemies were redone to look more appealing. I've also created a few more structures for the player to construct out in the world. This includes a barn, tent coop, greenhouse, and mushroom hut. Some more minor things have been drawn out for decorating the world such as broken down cars, fences, treasure chests, and thorny hedges too.
Besides graphics, I have spent some time working on the story. The introduction and conclusion are planned out, but side quests and minor events need more thought. I still need to figure out how many side quests I want in the game. I want to avoid boring fluff far as the story goes. I have done a little programming too. Ideally, I will be able to focus more on programming the game within a month or two.
Cave Tilemap Development
These past few weeks, I have made more progress with the tilemap for a basic cave. Crystals, traps, vines, and more boulders have been drawn out for these locations. There are plans to add different types of caverns to spelunk through with unique enemies and loot. Traps and dangerous tiles (like spike barricades) will be a common threat in these locations.
More work was also done on the more castle-like dungeons. The colors and shading have been adjusted to be more appealing. The flooring has been redone to have more variety. The repetition was bothering me. Wire, quilts, and cracks were added to make these areas feel more rustic. These areas will also have traps. Players will have to be weary of fire pits, flying saw blades, spikes, and more.